Friday 7 February 2014

His Steadfast Love Endures Forever. 2 Chronicles

2 Chronicles covers many of the same stories as in 1 and 2 Kings, from Solomon through to the time of exile. The focus however is on the kings of Judah, that is, the descendants of David. By contrast, Kings follows both Israel and Judah, but Chronicles mentions the king of Israel only when they directly inpact the history of Judah.

The book follows the ups and downs of the kings, their good and bad times. There were times of repentence and renewal as God's Law was found and followed. There were times of idolatry and pride. This was in a sense foreseen by Solomon, in his prayer of dedication for the temple (1 Chronicles 6). He makes a plea to God to listen to the prayers of his people, at all times. If (or when) a man sins against his neighbour, when Israel is defeated in battle, when there is no rain, when there is famine or pestilence or plague, when a foreigner enters, when anyone sins against God, when they are carried into exile - If any of these happen, and the people pray to God, then hear them and answer their prayers. Solomon knew that the people would sin ('for there is no one who does not sin') and that these disasters would come because of their sin. Yet he also knew that people would repent and turn back to God. And so they did. It's like Jesus speaking to Peter before his denial, "when you have turned again...". He knew that Peter would deny him, but he also knew that Peter would return ("when"). I guess this gives me, not a justification to sin, nor a casual acceptance of sin, but the comfort that my sin is not a surprise to God, and nor is it the end of the story. Time and time again, we see God restoring his people who repent.

This lineage (the kings of Judah) was the fulfilment of God's covenant with David, found in 1 Chronicles 17. "I will raise up your offspring after you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. I will not take my steadfast love from him, but I will confirm him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne will be established forever." There were many times when it looked like this line would come to an end, when the king and their brothers and sons seemed to be all killed in one fell swoop, or invasion and assassination appeared immanent. But God continually kept the line alive.

Once I finished reading 2 Chronicles, I went forward to the first chapter of Matthew. And there again was this (now) familiar line of fathers and sons. God continued his work, and it culminated in the birth of Jesus Christ, in and from this very lineage. God fulfilled his promise to David, not because of the deservingness of the descendants and followers whose heads turned every which way and only occasionally back to God. But because of his great love and purpose. So, the oft repeated cry of Chronicles, 'Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His steadfast love endures forever!'

No comments:

Post a Comment