Thursday 5 December 2013

D 4, Hosea: Indefatiguable Love

Hosea is a remarkable for the picture of God's love not only described from visions or preached to the people, but lived out in the life of a prophet directed by God to exemplify His relationship with Israel.

The time is clearly marked in the beginning of the chapter by mention of the kings that reigned during the prophecy, putting him in the group of contemporaries Isaiah, Amos, and Jonah as we noticed in when considering Amos. So the prophecies that describe Israel as an unjust and idolatrous generation in Amos, are describing the same group of people present that Hosea witnesses to.

The videos linked you were a nice respectful portrayal of events as they might occur in a modern setting. I did like the way they depicted the events without speaking - allowing the actions to speak for themselves.


Some interpretive comments about the first chapter: Though it says that Hosea married a prostitute, both as a picture of Israel and in accordance with the truth that God will never ask us to sin, we can observe that Hosea's wife is described as a prostitute because the immorality she would show was known by God and revealed to Hosea beforehand, not because of what she was when they married - it is against God's character to marry someone actively in an immoral lifestyle.
Secondly, I was curious about the comment that the blood of Jezreel would be avenged/visited upon the house of Jehu (the line of kings reigning at the time). Now the story in 2 Kings 9 shows that Jehu was appointed of God to overthrow the king's family (who lived in Jezreel) - but later we learn that Jehu followed the idolatry of the previous kings, and seemed more concerned with his own aggrandisement. It is generally believed, and makes sense to me, that this comment is about God punishing Jehu's line for the way that Jezreel was overthrown, and the departure from God - not the fact that they were overthrown/killed.

We see in Hosea a love that does not give up. Metaphorically, his wife spits in his face. She rejects him, and gives him every cause to break the marriage. She ignores the fact that her husband is taking care of her even when she is rejecting him, and continually pursues her own desires. Despite the fact that her choices leave her destitute, ashamed, and hurt, she still seeks them rather than her husband in whose care she prospered. Even when he buys her back - he is her husband, he should not need to buy her time like as a prostitute, but he does anyway to remove her from that scene. How much this sounds alike to how people ignore God, and take Him for granted, pursuing their own desires, the fancies of people around them, and ignore the walls of thorns God puts up to lovingly try to prevent them going down that path. I wish it wasn't true of me, but in some aspects certainly it does apply - praise God that He continually is merciful in drawing me back to Himself and hedging up the way to prevent me straying far!

Throughout the book, the theme of whoredom (prostitution/sexual immorality) and idolatry is intertwined. Not only in the example of the adultery of Hosea's wife, but we see the idolatry of Israel described  vividly with their sacrifices to other gods and the prostitution of the women in service to these 'gods'. Sex was considered in the ancient world, and still today in some circles to bring one closer to the god - hence the many 'temple prostitutes' seen in these sort of contexts. A lot of 'new age' philosophy follows similar lines, but in many ways this society's fascination with sexual freedom and excellence is equally idolatry.

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. But they like men have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me. 
(Hos 6:6-7)
Here is the key to the passage - part of God's direct words to Israel and Judah. Also interesting to note that Hosea seems to speak equally to both nations - unlike some prophets that focus on Judah or Israel predominantly.

In the latter chapters we see God dealing with Israel not only as a wayward and adulterous wife, but also as a child under His care that requires chastisement. His care and desire to give good things and hold back the punishment and judgement come through again and again. Oh how great is the patience and long-suffering of God!

We see Israel and Judah seek help from other nations, rather than looking to God Who seeks to help them. 
O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help. I will be thy king: where is any other that may save thee in all thy cities? and thy judges of whom thou saidst, Give me a king and princes? 
(Hos 13:9-10)
O Israel, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity. Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips. 
(Hos 14:1-2)

 Thought I would finish with a hymn that was on my heart while reading this:

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.


O Love that wilt not let me go

No comments:

Post a Comment