Saturday 21 December 2013

Reading Ezekiel at the beach

Is it possible to read God's word and hear from God anywhere? In a different country? While I am stressed out or relaxed? On holiday? At the beach?
I've been reading Ezekiel at the beach and some verses stand out more because of what I see around me.
I thought I would share them to encourage us on our reading journey together.

At the beach, there were heaps of stones, that hurt our feet when we walked on them to get to the sea. It reminded me of this verse.
 Ezek 11: 19 I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
How much pain does my own heart of stone cause those around me? I am thankful that God promises to replace my hard heart.



As I watch the Pohutukawa trees in bloom. I am reminded of the cedar and this verse, which has resonance in the Parable of the Mustard Seed (Matt 13:31-32, Mark 4:30-32, Luke 13: 18-19)

Ezek 17: 22 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it; I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar. Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches. 24 All the trees of the forest will know that I the Lord bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall. I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish.

Jesus uses verses from Ezekiel to talk about the Kingdom of God.



As the children make sand castles and try to cover the cracks and gaps in the sand piles as they lift their buckets, I am reminded of this verse:

Ezek 22:30 “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.

Is there a difference between filling in the gap and standing in the gap? The motif of the Watchman who stands in the gap is repeated in Ezekiel. Join me as I marvel, mull over and meditate on what that means.


No comments:

Post a Comment