Friday 24 January 2014

Adventure 14,15 &16 [1Kings]: "What's Your BHAG?"

Once in Management Communication Class, we were told to brainstorm a BHAG for ourselves. A BHAG is a Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal that businesses use to aim for something bigger and more impossible. It is a 10-30 year long term commitment, and it is an exciting concept for businesses to think bigger, aim higher, and to set their sights further. It is, as my lecturer put it, a finish line that we often don’t dare to even dream about. But a BHAG is not set in impulse or blind gamble. It is a testable, measurable, and understandable goal that is important enough to commit to for a really long time. It has to be something you are sure of.

I’d like to think that God placed BHAGs in our lives too. Callings that are too unimaginable to set your eyes upon for more than a split second, and dreams that you close your mind to before you even dare begin to explore. Not to say every hairy plan is a God given one, but rather that sometimes God calls us to new heights, which seems too far for a little me to climb, but is actually but a pin drop for my big God up there. Often God places on my heart a longing to make something specific happen, and I’m filled with passion and excitement to go out and do it. And then I stop, and decide to run it through my “advisors”, and then I waver. I start doubting God’s call, and start listening to the voices of my friends, my peers, my advisors. “You’ll never make it”, “It’s way too big”, “Are you sure?” these questions eat at my faith, and distract me from my instruction.

This theme of paying careful heed to the Lord’s clear instruction is found throughout the Old Testament. In 1 Kings 12 Rehoboam, Solomon’s son, became king after Solomon’s death. The people of Israel assembled and asked of Rehoboam, “Your father was a hard master. Lighten the harsh labor demands and heavy taxes that your father imposed on us. Then we will be your loyal subjects.” Rehoboam asked for 3 days to think over his answer. He first asked the older advisors for counsel, and they advised him to be a servant to the people and give them a favorable answer. However, Rehoboam rejected that advice and questioned his younger friends for their opinions. Their advice was to reply, “My little finger is thicker than my father’s waist! Yes, my father laid heavy burdens on you, but I’m going to make them even heavier! My father beat you with whips, but I will beat you with scorpions!” Guess whose advice Rehoboam followed? The latter. This ended up in the people of Israel refusing him as their king.

In the same chapter we see Jeroboam, the next king of Israel who, also on the advice of his good ol' counselors, made 2 gold calves for the people to worship, saying, “Look Israel, these are the gods who brought you out of Egypt!” Because of this, God turned away from Jeroboam. In the very next chapter, 13, we see a man of God from Judah who was sent by the Lord’s command to denounce Jeroboam in Israel. However, the Lord gave this man one warning, “You must not eat or drink anything while you are there, and do not return to Judah by the same way you came.” But this man of God was also swayed by the voice of men, and was later persuaded by the lies of a prophet to follow the prophet home and dine with him. The Lord had given clear instructions to the man, but the man wavered from the clear instruction without thinking and turned back into Israel, naively believing the lie that the prophet told him. This resulted in his death. In the last chapter of 1 Kings, 22, we also see Ahab asking for advice from his prophets before going out to battle. About 400 of them said, “yes, go right ahead! And the Lord will give the king victory.” But one, Michaiah, said otherwise, speaking of Ahab’s death in battle. Michaiah was the only prophet who truly received God’s word, but Ahab did not listen, and locked him up, going straight into battle.

Often we think that the more encouragements and good feedback we receive from others about our dreams, the better and more successful it will be. However, something I’m still learning is to do what I know is right, and not what others tell me is right. The word in front of me is God’s manual of clear instruction. It’s written down plain to see. It doesn’t mean I don’t ask for advice; it means that I don’t let the advice of others decide for me what God’s will is. His ways are different from ours. And through constant prayer and petition to God, along with a chunk of determination, He will show me and lead me through my Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal.
  
--So, Whats Your BHAG?

No comments:

Post a Comment