Friday 3 January 2014

Adventure 3 : I will serve the Lord

Adventure 3 : Joshua 17 - 24

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord..." (24,v.15)

These chapters also show the fulfillment of God's promise to the Israelites. There they are, finally building their lives in the land of milk and honey which sounds absolutely wonderful. Through the power and strength of the Lord, they reside in lands and pastures that they did not have to build and plant. Through the raising of God's sword, they have defeated their enemies and laid claim to the land as their promised inheritance.

As we look on at the history, past and the story of what happened to the Israelites, we are given the reminder of how important that we serve God and God alone. He is a God who keeps his promises and blessed his people. However, he will also keep his promise and deliver upon the bad consequences of our actions that depart from him and his worship.

The book ends with Joshua saying this, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." I think that is a beautiful ending to the long journey and wondering the Israelites have taken to reach the promise land. This is something that I too, want to be saying at all times and at the end of all things. That the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, my God alone is worthy of all honor and praise.

To the Lord God Almighty, thank you for your promises that are kept, and your providence and guidance upon your people. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment