Wednesday 1 January 2014

Adventure 1: “Be Brave!”

On the last night of the youth camp I attended a couple weeks ago, we had the typical prayer altar call. As I was one of the organizing committee members, I was prepared to pray for others and support the youth. So I loitered around the altar, praying for those who were receiving prayer. Suddenly, the pastor walked right up to me, laid his hands on my head and said these words, “Don’t always be swayed by your emotions. Rather, stay firm in the Word of God and do not be discouraged.” He then proceeded to pray for God’s strength for me. I was taken aback, and could only stare blankly into space, thinking, “How on earth did he know?” A little while later a friend walked up to me, put her arm around me and said, “Be brave, girl, God wants you to be brave!” I was stunned. God spoke exactly the right words I needed exactly at the time I least expected it! I had recently been so easily discouraged by circumstances, always letting my emotions stand in the way of pursuing my dreams.  

Reading these passages, I am again reminded that God has given us a dream, a vision, a calling. But we are so easily swayed by our own fickle emotions, or the jeering of others. However, the Lord has given us clear instructions in His word. If we are familiar with His word, we will know what we have to do. Then, nothing can make us compromise on our God given dreams.

“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” [Joshua 1:7-9]

            I recently realized that fear has been one of Satan’s most successful stronghold in my life. Because of fear, I have been unable to achieve many things that I was supposed to as a child of God. But since I understood that stronghold, there is no way I’m going to let it control my life any longer. With the God of angel armies with me wherever I go, whom shall I fear?


“Be brave; God wants you to be brave!”

No comments:

Post a Comment