Friday 10 January 2014

Adventure 7,8 "Obedience vs. Sacrifice"


            I remember as a child when I used to ask my parents what they wanted for their birthdays. They’d always reply the same thing, “You being “guai” is the best gift that you can give your papa and mama”. (“Guai” is a Chinese word for “good”, usually referring to children or pets). This drove me to frustration because I never knew what they wanted, a new pen, some jewelry, or a polkadot tie? Years later I came to realize what that statement meant. My parents didn’t need anything from me. I couldn’t buy anything for them that they couldn’t buy for themselves. Rather than me being disobedient and rebellious the whole year, and then sacrificing some of my allowance (which of course they gave me) to buy a cheap object on their birthdays, they would rather me obey them on the normal days, because that was what truly mattered to them. I was reminded of this when I read the Book of 1 Samuel, (15:22)
‘But Samuel replied, “What is more pleasing to the Lord, your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.”’
            Throughout the book of Samuel, we see the repeated disobedience and unfaithfulness of Israel, and their cycle of sin. They took no heed to warnings, but regretted when consequences befell, offering burnt sacrifices to the Lord in worship. The Israelites did not seek the Lord for guidance, or heed the Lord’s instruction, but they did what they thought was right in their own eyes. In the context of the verse above, Saul had listened to the voices of his people, kept the best of the plunder from the enemy’s campsite and spared the king, even though the Lord had specifically ordered him to kill everything in the land. When Samuel approached Saul about his disobedience, Saul declared innocence, justifying himself by saying that the plunder was to be sacrificed to God in burnt offering. In other words, Saul was saying that he knew what was right to do; and that what he did, though it was disobedience, would give God more glory. But that was foolishness, and Saul lost his kingdom as a result of it. Obedience is much more important than sacrifice. Jesus on the cross, I believe, was more of an act of obedience than of sacrifice. 
Just as my parents did not need my presents, the Lord does not need our service or help. Rather, our work for Him should just be a natural result of our love for Him. Often we are so busy trying to sacrifice for the Lord, trying to find the greatest way we can give glory to Him. Sometimes we almost make decisions for God, saying, “He will be more glorified if this happens”, rather than asking Him for guidance on His will. This happens in many occasions such as healing, ministry, and decision making. What we think is best may not be God’s best. It’s like only looking through a microscope when God can see through a telescope. Someone put it into this quote, "We want to work FOR God; but God wants to work WITH us." God doesn't need what we can do for Him, rather He wants who we are in Him.
‘But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”’ 1 Samuel 16:7
            Indeed, the Lord doesn’t see things the way we see them, and its something I have to repeatedly remind myself. If I live to try to win the applause of man, by looks, status or works, then I’m looking through the wrong lens. When God looked at David, he did not see a shepherd boy, or a talented harpist, or a handsome youth. Rather, He saw a man after His own heart, a man that would seek Him, who would obey Him, and who would love Him with all his heart. David did make his share of mistakes, but he always loved and praised the Lord. That heart of obedience was the best offering to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment