Tuesday 12 November 2013

Day 12 "Strength in Weakness"

Have you ever been in a rugby game or a concert, and you’re bobbing up and down, left and right, trying to see the stage past this… slightly over… developed person? Well, that’s where the line, “you make a better door than a window” came from, because you’re not alone in your frustration.
                  However, unbeknownst to many, most of us are doors in our daily lives. I know I am. I heard that its an Asian stereotype to be poor at self expression, but I hope that you somewhat relate. I like to shut myself up behind a closed door of pride, hiding my weaknesses, hurts and all. Opening the door makes me vulnerable to the taunting of the world, and I’d much rather have my weaknesses invisible and not under the spotlight. However, this is not how we are supposed to live. We are supposed to be light in the darkness, but how is light supposed to shine through a closed door?
                  I believe that our purpose is to be under a spotlight, as Matthew 5:14-16 says, “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
                  I believe that we should be real, authentic, human beings. Often I try to pretend like I’m perfect, hiding away my flaws. And we see that very often in church, too. Pride has been a recurring issue in my life, and has resulted in many things I regret. But as long as I held on to it, I was unable to let go of it, no matter how much I prayed for it to go away. True repentance comes hand in hand with humility, acknowledging your current state of weakness and learning to let go of yourself. 
                  David was called "a man after God's own heart". But in 2 Samuel 11 we see that he was the one who (indirectly) murdered Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, who had served him so faithfully! He was a murderer! Why then are we reading what he says as though he should be a role model? In Psalms 52 (Day 8's reading) we see David's response to Nathan the prophet's warning. When David realized his wrong, he repented of his sin with a broken spirit. This response was essential. He understood that God wanted a humbled heart rather than an unwilling sacrifice of guilt. Truth be told, we all have weaknesses; sin is a part of fallen human nature. We aren't perfect. But true repentance comes with acknowledgement of that weaknesses, and relying on God's strength to grow out of it. If we pretend to be perfect and strong in ourselves, God cannot use us, because our hearts are proud, and pride is the barrier that separates us from Him.

"My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection." 
Psalms 71:7

God's strength is revealed in our weakness. The Psalms reveal weakness. They portray fear, lies, hatred, anger, despair, injustice, guilt, and pride. It isn't a picture of perfection. But that's the good news. Jesus came to save sinners not saints. If he rated us by measure of sin, I would fail the test for sure. We were all saved by grace, and we still receive continuous grace everyday, because the veil of separation was torn for us.

"For I cried out to him for help,
praising him as I spoke.
If I had not confessed the sin in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened."
Psalm 66:17-18

So as the picture I drew below attempts to depict, even though they are thorns in the roses, and tears in the Alabaster jar, even though there are nail prints on our hearts and broken glass everywhere, there is still the wondrous cross behind it all, and only through letting His light shine through us, even though it may mean exposing everything else, are we able to become lights of the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment