Tuesday 5 November 2013

Day 5 "My Gold Pieces"

Honestly, I find that blogging about the Bible helps me a ton in understanding the bigger pictures of the books. I think that although it’s challenging and requires discipline, its definitely taught me a lot! Today I grouped the reading into 3 “gold pieces” I learnt.

Living in our circumstances
In Job, we see circumstances that arise that are so difficult to live in. Job couldn't wait for his life to end so that the then current circumstances would go away! Today I listened to a speaker teach about “Living in our circumstances”. The speaker talked about how difficulties strengthen, and we should learn how to live in our circumstances, learning to grow out from it. In the story of Joseph in the Bible, it tells of how he was mocked and abandoned by his own brothers and waited in prison for years. But it never tells of Joseph complaining about the situations that God placed Him in. Rather, he patiently waited, obeying and trusting in God's promises even through the current situations. Joseph later found out that it was all preparation and stepping stones leading up to God’s big plan for him! I remember a friend I had that would comment, "nevermind, it builds character", whenever something bad happened to her! God, too, is more concerned about our character than our comfort. He sees the big and small pictures, and is the God of circumstances. A character of Wisdom and Godliness takes time, patience, and discipline. Like in most everything, the Journey brings us to our destination. 

I Am Who I Am
The key to wisdom is the Fear of God. How profound! We see that God did not feel the need to justify or explain Himself. He did not say that it was a test, or explain that the curses were not His punishments but rather Satan’s doing. He merely used Himself as the sole answer to Job’s case. God’s identity defeats all arguments, cases and justifications. When we stop assuming and start trusting, God reveals to us the bigger picture! When Job trusted in who God is, God rewarded him for his faith. When Moses asked what he should tell his people when they ask who sent him, God’s simple answer? “I am who I am.” [Exodus 3:14]

Listen! And I will speak.

Debates, questions, and frustrations usually arise when we bring up listening to the voice of God, or discerning His will. But today I learnt that a big tip is to “Listen”. How often do we pray with words such as “Thank you Lord for… I’m sorry Lord for… Please Lord can you help…”. Not saying that is bad, but if prayer were simply that, it would be a one-way monologue! Imagine a friend walking into your room everyday, saying, “Thank you, Sorry, and Please can you do this for me…” and walk right out without waiting for your response? It will only be a one-sided speech and not a conversation! If your friend is not accustomed to listening to you, then if you speak one day amidst a crowd, he wouldn’t be able to recognize your voice! Job mentioned being unable to find God or to hear Him speak. But God replied, with the simple words, “Listen! And I will speak.” [Job 42:4] Jesus said in John 10:27, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." Through reading His will everyday in the “LIFE Instruction Manual”, we are easily able to discern His will and His voice when He speaks! There is much less grey area if we stop being influenced by the perspectives and debates of the world, and really spend time at the feet of God like Mary listening to Him speak! [Luke 10:39]

1 comment:

  1. I really like Point 2. I think I was trying to say that, but you may have made it clearer than me.

    ReplyDelete