Sunday 17 November 2013

Day 16 "All the Difference"

Sing a new song to the Lord! Sing it everywhere around the world! Sing out his praises! Bless his name. Each day tell someone that he saves. Publish his glorious acts throughout the earth. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. For the Lord is great beyond description and greatly to be praised.
(Psalms 96: 1-4)
May my words each day glorify God and speak of His great power.


I planned to have a nice Saturday afternoon  - sleep in, cycle to town for sushi and a nice cup of coffee, relax, and read. That plan drastically changed when I decided the night before, after great mental debate, to go for a full day hike with Capernwray (Bible school) students to Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a 19.4 km hike that would take approximately 7 and a half hours to complete. We left before 6 a.m. and arrived home after 10 p.m., talk about a full day!

Honestly, I did not want to go on this hike, the relaxing Saturday afternoon option seemed so much more tempting! But I did. And, like many things that we dread at first, it was definitely worth it in the end.

We learn things along every journey, and I’d like to share with you some of the things I learnt from this journey.

1.    When deciding between two options, err on the more challenging one.
As Robert Frost writes in his poem, “The Road Not Taken”,
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

Debating between the option of a sleeping in and a relaxing sunny day vs. a 7 hour climb, I found the advice of one of my friends quiet useful, “Choose the option that you will most likely regret if you didn’t try”, in other words, “Which finish line will the future you feel most satisfied with?” I took the one less traveled by, and that made all the difference!
Thus, Lesson #1, Challenges help us grow, and teaches us great things! J

2.     A journey would be quite sad without friends
I was totally unprepared on this hike – worn out converse shoes, thin pajamas-type pants, one small bottle of water, a measly couple slices of bread and not much warm gear – such an inexperienced tourist. Thank God for friends who did not mock me, but rather lent me climbing shoes, filled my water bottle on the climb, offered to carry my bag, constantly cared for me and waited for me on the steep edges, shared their food with me, encouraged me at every turn, and gave me their warm gloves, scarf and beanie at the top of the windy mountain. What Christ-like friends! I honestly felt like the most blessed girl ever! Without their constant support, the journey would have been nothing like what it was! It really gave me a reflection of Christ, who knows all my weaknesses but cares for me regardless. I hope that I can be a friend like them, filled with grace and love for others. Lesson #2, A good friend is a top essential to bring on a good journey. 
3.     Perseverance is a choice
Honestly at times I wanted to stop and give up. At one point I was climbing up a steep face of the volcanic mountain, covered in loose gravel, slipping at every other step, looking in fear at the rocks tumbling down the narrow edge. I felt like giving up. But there was no point of return. I had to move forward. I was reminded of a basketball player with only 4 toes who told reporters, “I was too busy looking at the goal that I forgot to look at my feet”. Another time we had walked 7 hours and I still could not see the finish line. But when I realized that it was a mind battle, I forgot my aching feet and walked faster, with the finish line in my mind. Lesson #3, perseverance is a choice.

4.     God is simply amazing

“Let the heavens be glad, the earth rejoice; let the vastness of the roaring seas demonstrate his glory. 12 Praise him for the growing fields, for they display his greatness. Let the trees of the forest rustle with praise.” [Psalms 96:11-12]

      The journey was breathtaking. Not just physically, but symbolically. It was beautiful in every way, and I constantly had “Wow” moments where I just had to stop and praise its creator. It was beauty so ingenious, with each mountain singing its creator’s praise. Indeed, we serve a great and mighty God.

“The heavens declare his righteousness,
And all the people see his glory.”
[Psalms 97:6]

Let the sea roar, and the fullness thereof;
The world, and they that dwell therein.
Let the floods clap their hands:
Let the hills be joyful together
Before the Lord
[Psalms 98:7-9]

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness:
Come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God:
It is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
And into his courts with praise:
Be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;
And his truth endureth to all generations.

[Psalms 100]

No comments:

Post a Comment