Saturday 2 November 2013

Day #2 "Friends who Stay"

So I've just decided today to write my blogs in a slightly different perspective. My approach is a more personal take, and will talk about a moment I have reflected upon that day, taking the passage in a slightly more everyday approach, with my personal life intertwined within it. I'm always up for learning, so if you think that I have misinterpreted a passage or written about something contradictory or perhaps even helpful, please respond and comment below! I'd love to learn from you and listen to your thoughts!
I'm starting this to share little reflective "stories of my life" with you, because I think that thoughtful, reflective moments are often the most life changing; and that everybody has a story to tell that we can learn from. So share with us your stories too!
---------

Today I moved out from my hall. To sort out one year of accumulated shopping and collected scraps of junk for a girl, is horrendous, especially with my... gift of... indecisiveness. I'll skip the details, but I was in a mess. Life seemed bundled up in dozens of plastic bags and suitcases, junk mixed with valuables, and time was ticking down till the hour that Cinderella would have to gracefully leave the ball, (in other words, till I would be kicked out of my hall). In my frantic rush, my graceful demeanor was completely thrown out of the window, and my weakness was revealed to the world and to my three friends who stepped in to save the day. They stayed up till 3a.m. the night before to make sure I didn't fall asleep packing, waited ages for me through my indecisiveness, carried my entire room of junk up and down 3 flights of stairs to and from my room, overlooked my weaknesses and stayed positive, constantly encouraging me when I needed it most.

As the saying goes, "A friend in need is a friend indeed," How blessed I am to have friends who stay by me not only through times of joy but also through the low points in life, who accept my weakness with my strengths. When Job was in his lowest point, his friends came to share his anguish. Most friends come when times are prosperous and there is plenty of merriment to share, but the few that come to share grief, are the ones worthwhile.

"Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and nights. No one said a word to Job, for they saw that his suffering was too great for words."

Though in chapter 11-21 we see a heated debate going on between the four friends, each with their own perspective on the situation. However, id like to take a slightly different approach and suggest that having friends that will be straightforward with what they think is valuable, and it feels good to talk with friends about things that trouble us. However, one thing I think led to their debate is that their answers came from a conversation about God without the input of God. They assumed that every blessing or tragedy was a measurement of our sin. I myself do not have the perfect formula to great advice for a troubled friend, but I do often send a quick prayer and ask for God's wisdom in the words I speak when asked for counsel. I think that praying together in faith and trust in God is sometimes the best thing to do in times of worry, when I lack words to say. It gives me more peace than reasoning it out! What might happen if Job's friends had encouraged him and prayed together with him, trusting God in faith, instead of debating innocence and sin? After all, faith might just be the ironic answer to those mind boggling questions!

I'm looking forward to learn more about and reflect upon this interesting book! May it give me more wisdom each time I read it!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see your personal response to the passage - we each consider things and express what we are thinking in a variety of ways, and it is encouraging to read your words!
    I think you have highlighted an important part - the friends of Job were trying to be good friends, and in many ways they were, but in seeking to help without first humbly seeking God's wisdom, they end up adding to the suffering in some ways.

    ReplyDelete